Christmas 2020, my best friend Kirsten shared this recipe that her Grandma had used forever, and I was intrigued because it contained one special ingredient: CARDAMOM. Over the last few years, I have become obsessed with the sweet and spicy taste of cardamom. Cardamom lattes, cardamom sconces, and these cardamom sugar cookies may be my favourite cookie EVER!
I made a few minor adjustments to the recipe and I’m not sure where my friends Grandma got the recipe, but I made a special cardamom icing to accompany the cookies … and let me tell you it takes a lot of will power not to eat all of the icing straight.
Ingredients for Cardamom Sugar Cookies
- 6 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- vanilla 1 tsp
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
Directions for Combining Ingredients
- Mix together the butter, sugar, egg and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Beat for approximately 3 minutes.
- Mix dry ingredients in a separate bowl and add to butter mixture.
- Let the dough chill for 2 hours or even overnight.
- After chilling, set oven to 350Fº
- Roll out your dough on a floured surface. The dough should be roughly 1/2 inch thick.
- Optional – Roll an embossed rolling pin over your dough for textured tops
- Use cookie cutters to cut out shapes and place them on parchment paper.
- Bake for 5- 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
Perfect Cardamom Royal Icing
- Beat two egg whites till soft peaks
- Add approximately 2 – 4 cups icing sugar (looking for a consistency that you like). You can make the icing thicker for piping on. Or you can leave the icing thinner for a more glazed appearance.
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla
- 1/2 – 3/4 tsp cardamom (don’t be shy with the cardamom)
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
I truly hope you enjoy these cookies as much as my family does!
If you have a moment I would appreciate you hitting the Pinterest Button to share this post… it also saves it for you to try year after year!
Leave a Reply